Alright, I’ll concede, Winter 2009 in Naperville is really really bad and as of this posting we find ourselves struggling to simply get out of the month of January. The photo to the right was taken off of our front porch where the minute run-off of sun-kissed snow was reclaimed by the frigid cold.
For all of those with a chronic case of cabin fever this winter, fear not… there are many ways to beat the winter blues in Naperville. Here are 5 of my favorites:
1) Grab the kids and/or just grab your own sled and head out to one of Naperville’s many sledding hills .
2) Need to a little getaway, perhaps some waves, water and 80 degree weather? Do what my family did during the sub-zero days of December and head just over an hour away to Gurnee for a one or two night stay in the indoor tropics of Key Lime Cove Indoor Waterpark . To say this place is great for the kids is an understatement!
3) Take a brisk walk in and around Downtown Naperville . Sure, it’s not summer, but the lights are still up the many shops, restaurants and nightlife are still open for your enjoyment. I recommend a nice dinner at Tango Argentine Grill . Take a bite of their famous world’s largest steak or surprise yourself with their incredible gnocci. Did I mention freshly made Sangria?
4) Take the kids to DuPage Children’s Museum and for a little play time… the kids will even have a great time too!
5) Skip the potholes and flying tires and hop on the Metra Rail Line for a quick trip into Chicago and get lost with the mummys at the Field Museum, ice skate at Millenium Park and enjoy a gourmet Kobe burger at the Park Grill.
Now what are you waiting for? Stop complaining, get out there and have a good time! SM